Sunday 2 March 2014

Blueberry-Vanilla Compote

I have been loving jazzing up oatmeal lately. The other morning I made banana-walnut steel cut oats. That recipe is self-explanatory. However, I have a great recipe for a blueberry-vanilla compote. If you don't like blueberries you could exchange them for any other fruit. Or if you're feeling adventurous, substitute the blueberries for a mixture of berries. 


This delicious fruit sauce is great on grains such as oatmeal and millet. Or fluffy pancakes and waffles. Heck, you can even add it to your plain greek yogurt for a delicious snack. 

Here's what you'll need:
3/4 cup of water
1/2 cup of sugar (It's Oscar Sunday...splurge a little)
2 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
1 cup of fresh blueberries (You could use frozen as well)
1-2 pods of vanilla beans

Combine the water, sugar, and lemon juice into a pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the blueberries. Then reduce to low, and continue cooking until mixture turns into a bubbly, syrup. Cut open your vanilla bean(s) and add the beans to the mix. Once you have reached the desired consistency, remove from the heat. Then add to a container and place in the refrigerator. Let cool over night. 




Well that's all for me, folks! I hope you try this recipe out. Let me know if you do! As it's Oscar Sunday right now, I'm off to root for Leonardo DiCaprio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment